Thursday, June 9, 2011

Positive thinking

Sipping some tea on this hot and humid morning, I remembered part of a conversation I had with a friend several years ago. It is unclear why this particular conversation came to mind, as I haven't spoken to that friend (most unfortunately) in over a year, but so it happens sometimes.

The conversation centered on the learning of a new skill, or the accomplishment of a difficult task. I asked my friend how he seemed to be able to learn new things, such as languages, without giving up in frustration. And very simply, my friend replied, more or less, "Well, I just get it in my mind that I can do something, and I believe that until it becomes true." 

How about that. My friend went on to be very successful in high school and college, and will soon be serving in the US military as a second lieutenant of artillery, or so I believe (as I said, we haven't spoken in a while). At any rate, what is to be made of my friend's thought from so long ago? It is not uncommon, neither for myself, nor for many other people, to become frustrated while attempting to master some new skill or accomplish a difficult task. The inevitable time, practice, and focus required to perform at a high level can prove daunting and discouraging for those who would improve their craft, especially when signs of progress are not readily at hand. Many people feel this way, and maybe you do too. In fact, my friend actually admitted to feeling this way as well. Yet the thing that seemed to sustain him, aside from the usual combination of determination and good habits, was the belief that he could in fact accomplish what he set out to do. The task, to his mind, was completely possible, if he but applied himself to the business of doing it. Want to write a book? Grab a pen or computer and give it a go. Want to run a fast mile? Do some research, devise a plan, then rigorously apply one's talent and training to the task. And perhaps as importantly, remember to believe in yourself as you go.

A little belief, it seems, can carry one a long way. Genshin Fujinami is a monk at Mt. Hiei in Japan who successfully completed the 7-year Kaihogyo, a series of trials that saw Fujinami run/walk appproximately 27,705 miles, and go nine straight days without water, sleep, or food, among other things. Look it up if you're interested. At any rate, in an interview conducted sometime near the end of the trials, Fujinami said quite simply, "You must think positively. Thinking positively, I believe I can continue until the end."

And so, perhaps, can you, given a little positive thinking.
Happy Thursday, friends :).

No comments:

Post a Comment