Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Changes to the blog: A new title, and new background

I made some changes recently to the blog, most notably to the title and the background. I'd be more than happy to hear your thoughts on these changes if you have any. Below I'll discuss some of my own.

The new title is "The Blue Mountain," a direct English translation of "der blaue Berg," the previous German title. I made the change primarily for the sake of simplicity, as most of the people with whom I discuss the blog and the ideas which it explores are English-speakers. To this one might add that the blog is written exclusively in English. All signs therefore seemed to point toward an English title, so now the blog has one.

The other change I've made is to the background. While the previous background very nicely captured the title in image form, the dark color-scheme long struck me as a bit dim and moody, a nexus of associations more inclined to frowns and sadness than smiles and good cheer. Furthermore, the fine details in the previous background too often seemed to distract from the text itself, a quality that has both positive and negative consequences. On balance, I decided a brighter, simpler, and more open look would better convey the mood of a happy, lively, and quiet place for reflection. Finally the image of birds taking flight struck me as uniquely appropriate, since one of the core purposes of this blog is to help and encourage people to take flight and thrive in whatever pursuit life calls them to do.

At any rate those are the major changes to the blog thus far, and something of their underlying logic. Further changes may come in time. I hope the new title and background improve your experience here on the mountain.

Happy Tuesday, friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment