Sunday, November 11, 2012

No Expectations

I don't expect much from this post, say what you will. My purpose in writing it isn't a serious one, though I wouldn't characterize it as trivial either. Indeed I compose it with a very distinct idea in mind, namely one of utter indistinction. I have no expectations for it, but that is the point; sometimes, it seems, expectations get in the way.

Are expectations always in the way? I suspect not. Consider that in an earlier post, we describe a study which demonstrates how expectations have a small but potentially decisive effect on performance in sports like running, cycling, etc. A conscious expectation of what we can do seems to influence how hard our subconscious mind (a "Central Governor" if you will) is willing to let our body go (up to a point). So at times expectations have their value.

Sometimes, however, perhaps they don't. Consider, if I expect a test to be easy, don't study much, and instead it turns out to be impossible, I'm liable to do poorly. From another side, if I have a solo to perform and have a nervous break-down, it's likely I'll freeze up and make a mess of the show.

In both cases an expectation got in the way of doing the task in a wholesome, natural way. Needless to say it also prevented me from performing at capacity; call it "potential" if you like. The stimulation for action proved either too weak (ex: the test) or too strong (the solo) to let our talent and industry have a fair go at the challenge. In other words, our minds got in the way of our ability.

I don't think telling a person to ignore expectations will help them do it for long. I know it doesn't help me much. Words can motivate sure (call it a "giddi-up), but they can't make habits of thought or action. No, what I think helps more is practice; which is to say doing things without any serious expectation in mind (that's how I wrote this post, say what you will).

Perhaps you'll find it liberating? That's often the case for me, since assuming no expectations means I can let things be precisely what they are, neither more or less. One doesn't need to fight to make circumstances fit an optimistic or pessimistic model, because your model becomes whatever is on hand; as Teddy Roosevelt once said, "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Trying it this way means you can give new ideas a go because the object is whatever results. And you know what that means?

You can shoot for the moon, and still be happy if you miss. How about that.

Happy Sunday, friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment