Sunday, July 7, 2013

What three things did you learn today?

I'm amazed sometimes how much I learn (and don't learn!) each day. Whether from school, work, or the many adventures of life, I begin to wonder if perhaps every incident in life--considered in a certain way--is an opportunity to learn something new. I like to think so, even if it doesn't always seem to work out that way. 

In any case, I became curious as to how this sort of learning might be tracked, and from there more thoroughly understood. This line of thinking led to the formulation of a game of sorts, one that perhaps you will join me in playing.

It's pretty simple: take a piece of paper, and on it write three things you learned today. You can do more or fewer if you like, but my plan is to go with three.  On the morrow, repeat the exercise. From time to time, give the list a gander,  and see all the things you've learned of late.

The contents of the list might be equally simple. For example, I might include a Spanish word I learned at work, or some curious fact about human physiology (which I'm currently studying in community college). Similarly, one might include some broader lesson, such as not going out so fast in a race, or some study method that yielded good or poor results. It's all up to you really; the point is to take some of the learning you do on a daily basis, and put it on paper. In this way, one might render such knowledge more apparent to one's self, and perhaps also more useful. 

Starting tonight, I'll give it a try and report back in a week or two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment