Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Remembrance of Tom Clancy (1947-2013)

I was surprised and saddened to learn yesterday that author Tom Clancy had passed away after a brief illness in Baltimore, Maryland. He was 66.

Tom Clancy (1947-2013).
 Retrieved from (link)
Mr. Clancy's books proved a huge influence on me throughout middle and high school, during which I read almost every work of his on my dad's bookshelf. I enjoyed his story-telling, particularly the dialogue, and the clarity, suspense, and detail of his works drew me in like few books could at the time.

Of Mr. Clancy's fiction works, I think my favorite is a tie between "The Hunt for Red October" (1984) and "Red Storm Rising" (1986). On the non-fiction side, I would say his cooperative work with Ret. General Fred Franks "Into the Storm: A Study in Command" (1997) proved the most interesting.

Finally, Mr. Clancy is among the first authors whose work spurred me to take up writing. The richness of his tales and clarity of his prose provided a useful model of a writing style I liked, and over the years has spurred me to keep practicing the craft. I am very thankful for this inspiration, as the writing journey has proven a most enriching one.

So many thanks, Mr. Clancy, for enriching my life and the lives of countless others. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment