Sunday, September 28, 2014

A favorable comparison between Japanese and American schools (in this case, universities)

I found this post by Yumi Nakata to be an interesting opinion from the point of view of a Japanese person studying at an American university.

I was surprised most by the first point:
"I was surprised to find out that it is ok to raise your hand and interrupt your teacher to ask a question. They actually like that because it shows that you are interested in learning the subject. But it’s the complete opposite in Japan. Japanese teachers expect students to stay quiet while they teach and write on the blackboard. I was used to copying whatever my teacher wrote on the board and then anxiously waiting for my teacher to ask me a question."
 My thanks to Charles for posting the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment