Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Arrived on my pile...

I went to the library earlier, and came back with a few interesting titles: 

"The Warrior King and the Invasion of France" (1988), Desmond Seward--This one looked interesting, and should serve as a good preface to Dan Jones' excellent book on the wars of the roses, which I recently finished (see review here).

"The Making of Modern Japan" (2000), Marius B. Jansen--A comprehensive history, to look at it. The writing is a bit dense in the early going, but we'll see how it turns out.

"In These Times: Living in Britain Through the Napoleonic Wars, 1793--1815" (2014), Jenny Uglow-- sounds like a neat book about life in England during the age of Napoleon. I'm looking forward to starting this one.

"A Random Walk Down Wall Street, 10th ed." (2011)*, Burton G. Malkiel--A classic and highly-recommended work in the world of investing, about which I've heard a lot and yet have not read. Feels very readable in the early going, and will probably be the book I read over breakfast each morning.

*Looks like there's an 11th edition now available.

"Very Good Lives" (2008), J.K. Rowling--A published version of the commencement address the author gave at Harvard in 2008. I've actually seen that address (so can you, here), but it might be worth perusing in printed form again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment