Friday, September 23, 2011

Franz's Mind over Math--Part 1

"Good morning class," said Mr. Eton, strolling into the classroom, cheerful as ever. "I have your chapter tests, and I think most of you will be quite pleased!"

Franz nearly fell out of his seat. "What? We have a chapter test? Today? Oh no, I didn't study!"

Margaret just shook her head. "He means the chapter test from last week. You know, the one you studied for by flying down the street on roller-blades while using an umbrella as a sail?"

"Hey!" said Franz defensively, "It would have worked if the umbrella hadn't flown apart."

"Or if you'd slowed down before falling into that creek," said Ellen, who sat at the same pod as Franz, Margaret, and Abby, who sat quietly, listening to the argument.

"I can't help there's a creek at the end of my street," said Franz. "My mom won't let me test the idea anywhere else."

"Quiet down now," said Mr. Eton, who had begun returning the tests. He reached Franz's pod, and after returning the other three exams, turned to Franz. "Franz, I would like to meet with you after school to discuss your test." Mr. Eton moved on to the next pod.

"What do you think that was about?" asked Margaret, looking concerned.

"I don't know," said Franz uneasily, "I guess we'll find out."

***********

Abby, Margaret, and Ellen found Franz at his locker the following day. He seemed to move slowly, and looked distracted.

"Hey, Franz!" called Margaret, leading the way down the hall. "Hey, what did Mr. Eton want to talk about yesterday?"

It seemed to take a moment for Franz to notice his friends, but at last he acknowledged them.

"Oh nothing, he just wanted talk to me about the test," he said.

"Yeah, but why?" asked Margaret impatiently. "He didn't ask to speak with any of us. Why you?"

"Because I got an F," said Franz abruptly, "which means that I failed the marking period." He continued after a pause, "Which means I'll be held back next year, and won't get to go to middle school." By now he was near tears.

"Oh no!" said Ellen, "we can't go to middle school with you."

"No, that simply won't do!" declared Margaret.

"Is there something that can be done?" asked Abby. She had only known Franz for a few months, but like Ellen she could not imagine moving on to middle school without him.

"There is one thing," said Franz, now recovering...


"I don't wish to fail you, Franz, but I can't in good faith let you move on to middle school math without a firm grounding in the basics; it would be unfair to you," said Mr. Eton. 


"But Mr. Eton sir, I can't be left behind," said Franz. "All my friends are in the fifth grade, and I should be lost without them, sir. Isn't there something that can be done?" 


"There is one option," said Mr. Eton, thinking to himself. "It would not be easy, but if you succeed, I think it would prove both to you and to me that you have what it takes to move on to the next level.


"It would be a series of four tests, one each Friday for the next four weeks. The first test would include material from chapter 1, the second from chapters 1 and 2, the third from chapters 1,2, and 3, and the finally the fourth from chapters 1 through 4. You would have to average a B for the entire lot. If you could do that, then I think we could replace your current marking period grade with the new average. Do you think you would be up to the task?"


Franz thought for a moment. "I think so, sir. I do not really have a choice, so I will try." 


"It must tell you," began Mr. Eton, "that this format means that each test will become progressively more difficult, so you don't want to fall behind. And we'll need to start this coming Friday to get everything in before the end of the marking period. Does that work for you?"


"Yes," said Franz uneasily, "I suppose it does..."


..."So now I have to study for these big tests on top of all our other homework. I feel completely lost."

"But Franz, this is excellent," said Margaret, looking happy. "Mr. Eton is giving you a chance to redeem yourself. Such a chance should not go to waste."

"Quite right," said Ellen, nodding in approval. "It's criminal not to seize a chance when it's offered. Imagine if Roger Bannister had decided not to go for the sub 4-minute mile because of some wind?"

"Who?" asked Franz.

"Roger Bannister," said Ellen, "the first man to break 4-minutes in the mile. He'd been training for years, and was getting close, but two other guys were also getting near, and it seemed only a matter of time before one of them did it. Finally, it was decided to go for barrier on 6 May. But when the day arrived, it was very windy, and Roger twice thought maybe he should wait for another day.  But the wind died down at the start, so Roger took his chance and became the first man to break 4-minutes for the mile."

"What a lovely story," said Abby, smiling.

"I've always been inspired by it," said Ellen. "The point is, Franz has a chance just like Bannister, and he should not waste it."

"But what can I do?" asked Franz. "You can say all you want about seizing opportunities, but I'm the one who's to do the actual seizing, and I'm frankly at a loss of how to do it. When it comes to math, 'F' might as well stand for Franz and Failure."

"Not to worry," said Margaret, striding forward confidently and putting a hand on Franz's shoulder, "leave it to us. We have as much an interest as you to make sure you pass, as the thought of going to sixth grade without you is unbearable. So don't worry, Ellen and I will prepare you. Meet us at the library today after school."

"But..." began Franz.

"You really have nothing to worry about," said Margaret as the bell for class rang. "Ellen and I are math wizards, we'll have you prepared in no time."

The hallway emptied, leaving Franz thoroughly alone.

Oh boy he thought to himself, what have I got myself into?

No comments:

Post a Comment