Thursday, July 26, 2012

Something I learned from reading other blogs

I don't read many blogs, but I often find it interesting to see how other bloggers go about their business. Some make small posts to bring attention to interesting things they've read, or to answer questions about their field. Greg Mankiw, a Harvard economics professor, writes a blog like this.

Others write long, detailed posts about topics related to their profession. Drs. Ross Tucker and Jonathan Dugas, two physiologists from the University of Cape Town and writers of The Science of Sport blog, are examples of this type.

I've also seen blogs with posts of varying length about anything the writer likes, updated almost every day. My friend Sam Stortz writes a blog like this.

Blogs therefore come in all manner of forms, and no form seems more correct than another. They're all quite different, sure, yet they all work. Why they work is a good question, and I don't have a great answer except that they don't seem to make themselves out to be anything but what they are. This is a good quality I think, because it allows the bloggers to write from the heart, which might be the truest voice we all possess.

So if we want to write a blog (or indeed do anything in life), I think we should not fear to be oursleves. Others may not like us or our work, but that will be true no matter how we express ourselves. Might as well keep it real, so to speak.

Just a thought.

Happy Thursday, friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment