Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Three haikus about summer

A summer sunset near home. Photographed
by the author.
With summer gradually coming to a close, I thought perhaps to distill some experiences from the last few months into a poetic form. Upon reflection, the Japanese haiku seemed suitable, particularly since earlier this year I undertook my first hanami, or cherry-blossom viewing, in Washington D.C.

I also chose the haiku form because it is compact, and seems to capture a great deal of experience in very few words. Each attempts to describe a moment in my life this summer, which you may find echos moments of your own. Writing them comes with many challenges, but I enjoyed writing those found below, and perhaps you will enjoy reading them.

Summer Reading:

Reading in sunlight
On a humid, summer day
Cold tea a blessing.


Summer Running:

Running in the woods
Dusk begins at 9 o'clock
Start the cricket song.


Mosquito Bites:

A mosquito bite
Burns like s'mores o're a fire
A badge of summer

No comments:

Post a Comment