Wednesday, October 22, 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014

Well friends, it's official: I've signed up this year to do my first NaNoWriMo. If you're unfamiliar with NaNo, it's the National Novel Writing Month contest.


The basic idea is that you and hundreds of thousands of others spend the month of November writing a 50,000-word draft of a novel. That's about 1,667 words per day. If the challenge sounds familiar, it's because I made a go at it earlier this year, and, well, fell short. It was humbling, and a useful learning experience--failure often is. We make an attempt, consider how it went, and go at it again once we've recovered.


With less than ten days to go before the contest begins, I'm feeling excited and eager to start. At present, the title of the story I'm hoping to tell is, "Waves from Rizen," and the basic plot involves the formation and resolution of a love-triangle between a girl, Sara Noble, and two boys; Ren Kimora, and Aidan Cain. They're all high-school aged, and the story (as presently imagined) takes place almost exclusively on a fictional archipelago called Soest.


The challenge begins 1 November and ends 30 November, and I hope you will follow along with its progress. I can't promise I'll be able to write much during that stretch, but I will do what I can to keep you updated.


Many thanks, and happy Wednesday :)



No comments:

Post a Comment