Friday, May 27, 2011

microcosm

Yesterday I walked over to the old air-base which the township converted into a park maybe seven years ago. It had been a while since last I was there, and though it was hot, I decided to brave the open sky for a little walk down the runway.

As usual, I was struck by how much life actually exists in the park. As the sky is so open there (a pre-requisite for an air base), I haven't run there as much in the spring/summer as I have during the winter because the sun can be considerable, and the heat equally so. Obviously during the colder months there are fewer signs of wild-life and vegetation. At any rate, just walking down the runway reminded me of a thought I have had on several occasions over the past few years. In short, there are a wide variety of habitats within the confines of the old base, resulting in a wide variety of organisms and plants that inhabit those habitats.

There is the pond, where Geese often frequent, and where cattails grown in the warm months. There are short trees that the township planted along the perimeter path, where bluebird and barnswallows build their nests. The open fields which aren't regular cut are home to a whole host of seen and unseen creatures, some that I know and many others I do not. In the evening, it is not uncommon to see deer moving through the meadows, doing what deer do. There are some older trees among the grass, and there one can observe hawks and vultures. In the southeast corner of the base there is a  forested section, where deer, squirrels, and the usual assortment of songbirds dwell. I've even seen a fox there once. Just to the north of the trees is a section of lowland swamps, where yesterday I saw half-a-dozen Red-winged Blackbirds, as well as some fast-walking brown birds whose name I do not know. The plant growth is extensive in the swamps, and many different plants can be found there.

In short, a park of only a few miles plays host to a wide variety of habitats and organisms. Walking the perimeter of the place is like taking a pilgrimage through several different lands. It is enjoyable :). And it is perhaps possible to discover such worlds in microcosm with one's own town. Go have a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment